Hand-painted wine glasses are the trendy DIY project this season and are perfect gifts for any occasion including birthdays, bridal showers, and many other holidays.
All you need are small bottles of acrylic paint, small to medium paint brushes, a plain wine glass, and an index card. I recommend purchasing quality wine glasses because dollar-glasses tend to break even if you’re not the Hulk, and you certainly wouldn’t want to break your work of art!
Before you begin, draw the design on the index card or print out a design from your computer. This trick is especially handy for names.
1) Ensure that your glass is clean and dry.
2) Tape the index card with your design to the inside of the glass.
3) Load your brush and begin painting the glass, carefully tracing over your design. (Practice using your paintbrushes on a spare sheet of paper to see the full range of strokes.)
4) Allow the glass to dry for 1 hour.
5) Place the glass in a COLD oven, and then preheat the oven to 350 degrees. The bake time is 30 minutes, but remember to add the preheat time into the bake time. Leave the glass in the oven until it’s completely cool.
6) Voila! A customized, hand-painted, unique work of art.
For simple designs, polka-dots are versatile (not to mention easy), swirls are always stylish and animal prints are chic. Complex designs such as flowers and animals can be tricky, so practice on paper before painting the glass. Note that acrylic paint dries quickly but it’s forgiving when wet, so if you make a mistake, have damp paper towels or Q-tips on hand for a quick clean-up. Don’t forget to decorate the stem! If you don’t want to paint it, a pretty ribbon quickly adds that final, feminine touch.
Of course, this DIY project isn’t limited to wineglasses! Try painting margarita glasses, stemless wine glasses, and martini glasses.