Ok, I have to be honest. The holidays snuck up on me this year, and I haven’t done my baking yet.
The good news (for me, and any other procrastinator out there) is that Member One has some amazing holiday cookie recipes in our current issue. One of which is this simple and easy Classic Sugar Cookie recipe.
You will need:
3 cups flour
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup sugar
Sift salt, baking soda, and flour. Combine butter, sugar, and egg. Beat with an electric mixer. Gradually add flour until dough mixture pulls away from the sides of the bowl. Split the dough in half and refrigerate for 2 hours. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Before rolling out dough, sprinkle surface with powdered sugar. Roll dough into 1/4″ thickness. Cut into desired shapes and place 1″ apart on greased baking sheet. Bake for 8 minutes or until golden brown. Remove cookies.
It is a time honored tradition in our family to add sprinkles to the top, but you can add whatever you want to make your cookies festive! We won’t judge you if you eat them all before you get to your party!
Now, please excuse me while I go start my oven and finally get ready for the holidays!
Written by Hayleigh Worgan (with a little help from Member One).
Our Bella Eats+ Sips writer, Liz Bushong, is making quite the splash in our area! Between her spots on Daytime Blue Ridge and the Joy Sutton Show, she contributes fantastic editorial to our monthly issues.
For Mother’s Day this weekend, consider surprising your mom with her Salted Caramel- Pecan Coffee Cake. If your mom is anything like mine, there are two presents you can give her that will show you really care: your time and something that you have made. This recipe does not appear to be that difficult, so even a kitchen rookie like myself can put it together!
Even if you do not have time to make it this weekend, this is definitely a recipe you will want to print out and save for later! Don’t forget to pick up the May issue of Bella for more fantastic recipes from Liz!
Serve it up Sassy! ® Salted Caramel-Pecan Coffee Cake
Yield: 24 squares
1 ½ cups granulated sugar
1-cup butter, softened
2 eggs, beaten
1 teaspoon almond extract
2 cups all purpose flour
½ teaspoon baking soda
1-teaspoon baking powder
1-cup sour cream or Greek yogurt.
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/3 cup packed brown sugar, light or dark
1 cup pecans, finely chopped
½ cup butter
6 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
¾ cup brown sugar, packed
1 cup pecans, finely chopped
½ cup course sea salt- garnish
- Grease and flour 9 x 13-inch baking dish. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cream sugar and butter in large bowl. Add eggs and extract. Combine flour, soda and baking powder in separate bowl. Alternately add flour mixture and sour cream to butter mixture. Beat until fluffy.
- Prepare filling: combine ingredients for filling, set aside.
- Pour half the batter into prepared pan, sprinkle with filling, add remaining batter.
- Bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes or until cake center is done.
- Meanwhile in saucepan, combine all ingredients for topping. Stir to combine.
- Remove coffee cake from oven and pour caramel topping on top of warm cake.
- Broil cake, watching to make sure topping doesn’t burn, for 2 minutes until topping begins to bubble. Add course sea salt as the garnish.
- Let cake cool completely before slicing and serving. Cut into squares and place on decorative plate or platter.